Things to do in Tenerife
Tenerife is a thriving tourist destination. With its year-round sunshine, stunning beaches, mountains and national park it is no wonder it is visited by more than 6 million tourists every year, making it one of Spain’s top destinations.
We’ve compiled a list of the top ten things to do during your time on the island.
- Visit Tenerife's natural gem, the stunning Teide National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site featuring Mount Teide, Spain’s highest peak at 3,718 metres high - a UNESCO Starlight Reserve.
- Enjoy a pleasant whale and dolphin watching trip - pilot whales and bottlenose dolphins live in the island’s deep blue waters all year round.
- Have a swim at one of the island’s jet black sand beaches – it’s therapeutic and you’ll be surprised how easily the sand comes off your skin!
- Take a dip in a lava rock pool along the coastline of Alcalá (south) or Puerto de la Cruz and Garachico (north).
- Have fun at the island’s variety of theme and water parks like Loro Parque (Europe’s number one zoo by TripAdvisor) and Siam Park (the world’s best water park by TripAdvisor).
- Learn about the stars and the planets with a guided evening tour in one of the world’s best locations for stargazing, the Teide National Park.
- Go sporty and take a hike or mountain bike in Anaga Rural Park - a striking subtropical forest with ancient laurel trees and giant ferns, recently named a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Tour a winery and taste the volcanic wines that William Shakespeare and George Washington loved.
- Stroll around Santa Cruz (the island’s capital city) and World Heritage town La Laguna (University town and the former capital) to see the contrast of modern/old and get a grasp of the daily life of islanders – both towns are linked by a modern tram system.
- Put your helmet on and visit the “Wind Cave” - Europe’s longest lava tube with around 18 km of tunnels, some still unexplored.