Read all the latest press releases here!
For further press information please contact:
Chengdu Named as Host of 10th Routes Asia as Doors Close on 9th Routes Asia
Posted 29/03/2011 - Viewed 3599 time(s)
CHENGDU NAMED AS HOST OF 10TH ROUTES ASIA AS DOORS CLOSE ON 9TH ROUTES ASIA
Incheon, South Korea, 29 March, 2011
Routes has confirmed that the 10th Routes Asia will return to China in 2012. Taking place from 15-17 April next year, the only air service development event for all of Asia will be hosted by Chengdu International Airport (CDIA).
David Stroud, Executive Vice President, Airports, UBM Aviation, said “After such a successful 9th Routes Asia, held here in North Asia, it is fitting that we now return to China. We look forward to seeing how our hosts for what will be the 10th edition of Routes Asia build on the success of this event for next year.”
Stroud continued, “I recently visited Chendgu myself and as the airport has consistent growth in its passenger traffic and route network, and now has an extensive network connecting domestic, regional and international destinations, I am convinced that they are the perfect choice to become our Routes Asia host for 2012.”
Xiaojun Pan, General Manager and Board Chairman, Sichuan Province Group Co Ltd, Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport Company, said “Hosting Routes Asia in Chengdu next year is a major opportunity for us to showcase the city and region to the international community. Due to our location, we tend to have less contact with the rest of the world than some other Chinese cities, but by hosting this event we hope to attract friends from all over Asia to discuss issues and exchange ideas about airport and air service development. I believe Chengdu will be a big surprise to all the delegates. It is a very beautiful city and they will be able to learn more about the city and enjoy the scenery. They will be able to explore the culture and taste the distinct foods of the region.”
Chengdu International Airport (CDIA) is now the largest air hub and passenger and cargo distribution centre in the central western region of China. It has more than 80 domestic and international routes and in 2010 handled 25.8million passengers, making it the sixth busiest airport in China. One of the prides of Chengdu City, the new Passenger Terminal 2 (T2), is scheduled to launch its operation at the beginning of 2012.
Best known for its Giant Pandas Breeding Research Centre for which Chengdu has become internationally renowned, the city is also the centre of finance, commerce, transportation, communication and science and technology in the central western part of China.
The formal handover of Routes Asia to Chengdu International Airport marks the end of the 9th Routes Asia. This event saw over 400 aviation professionals from across the globe gather to discuss route development opportunities and the aviation industry in general. Highlights included the Routes Asia Strategy Forum, which had a keynote address from Azran Osman-Rani, CEO, Air Asia X, as well as a presentation from ICAO introducing their Trainair Plus programme. The Welcome Reception at the Songdo Convensia and spectacular Gala Evening incorporating Korean traditional and modern entertainment, as well as the tours of Incheon and Seoul also proved particularly memorable.
- Ends -
Notes to Editors
- World Routes – The World Route Development Forum – is the world renowned annual airline and airport networking event. It facilitates and encourages the role of airports in the development of air services through organising global and region specific airline/airport networking forums.
- This year’s World Routes is taking place in Berlin, Germany, 2nd – 4th October 2011.
- Routes Regional events include Routes Americas, Routes Asia, Routes Europe, Routes Africa and Routes CIS.
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK-based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. www.asm-global.com.
- Both companies, and Routesonline.com, were acquired by UBM Aviation in August 2010. UBM Aviation specialises in the supply of data and information products, market intelligence, news and events related to the global aviation industry. More information can be found at www.ubmaviation.com.
- In April 2007, Routes won the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2007. The award, for outstanding business performance and commercial success, recognised Routes’ sustained contribution to aviation route development through its innovative Regional and World Route Development Forums.
For further press information please contact:
T: +44 (0) 161 234 2711
Follow us on twitter: @RoutesPR
Please login to view this content. Not a member? Register for free.