Read all the latest press releases here!
For further press information please contact:
Routes and OAG Proudly Announce the 2010 World Routes Airport Marketing Awards
Posted 30/09/2010 - Viewed 4168 time(s)
ROUTES AND OAG PROUDLY ANNOUNCE THE 2010 WORLD ROUTES AIRPORT MARKETING AWARDS
Vancouver, Canada, 21 September 2010
Winners of the 2010 World Routes Airport Marketing Awards were formally announced yesterday at the World Routes Gala Networking Evening at Rogers Arena (formerly known as
General Motors Place), Vancouver, Canada. The awards included four regional categories: Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa.
Top honours went to Brussels Airport in the European region, and was awarded to Edmonton International Airport in the Americas. The Asia region honoured Auckland Airport, and Nairobi - Jomo Kenyatta International Airport collected the award in the African region.
"The World Routes Airport Marketing Awards are widely recognized as one of the industry's most important honours. OAG is privileged to be involved in this ceremony and to pay tribute to the world's best and most innovative airports, whose dedication to route
development is exceptional, and ultimately benefits the entire aviation industry," said Peter von Moltke, Chief Executive Officer, UBM Aviation, parent company of OAG.
The World Routes Airport Marketing Awards are internationally accredited and widely accepted as one of the most sought after accolades in the industry. The prestige of this award is largely due to the fact that they are the only award based purely on rewarding
excellence in route development and nominated only by airlines.
David Stroud, Senior Vice President of Routes Events and member of the awards judging panel, notes that "What really sets these awards apart is how accurately they reflect the airlines' views. Vitally, it is the airlines' votes that create the shortlist from which the panel
selects the winners, and the judging panel itself is made up of airline route development professionals. This aspect in particular is unique within the industry, and what makes the awards so highly regarded."
In addition to the shortlisted airports voted by the airlines, the regional winners from the regional Routes events also gained an automatic place amongst the finalists. Judging then moved on to a panel of senior industry experts - formed for the first time this year - made up of current and former airline network planners who reviewed the shortlisted airports'proposals, in order to determine the winners. The panel consisted of the following airline experts:
• Bob Hill, Director Route Planning, American Airlines
• Buddy Anslinger, Formerly of Continental Airlines, Network Planner
• Germal Singh Khera, General Manager Government & Industry Relations, Malaysia
• Mike Malik, Chief Commercial Officer, UBM Aviation
• David Stroud, Senior Vice President, Routes Events
• Mike Berman, Vice President Commercial, RDG
Bob Hill commented: "I am very impressed with the dedication, application of new technology, creativity, determination, and confidence among the contestants."
Additionally, British Airways was named the winner of The Orbis Social Responsibility Award for its partnership with Comic Relief, a UK-based charity. The two organisations have committed to raising £8 million and pledge to make a difference to children across the world
through a series of activities focused on addressing social, economic and health issues and climate change.
Routes and OAG are pleased to announce the full list of airports shortlisted under each award category:
Brussels Airport - winner
Athens International Airport - highly commended
Munich Airport - highly commended
Edmonton International Airport - winner
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport - highly commended
Queen Beatrix International Airport, Aruba - highly commended
Akron Canton Airport
Jorge Chávez International Airport, Lima
Auckland Airport - winner
Abu Dhabi Airports Company - highly commended
Singapore Changi International Airport - highly commended
Beijing Capital International Airport
Meilan International Airport
Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport - winner
Cairo International Airport - highly commended
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
Entebbe International Airport
Orbis Social Responsibility Award
British Airways - winner
- Ends -
Notes to Editors
OAG provides the aviation industry's most accurate, single source of information for essential aviation
data, analytics, marketing and consulting services, network planning and route development from its
comprehensive airline Schedules, Fleet, Flight Status, MRO and Cargo Logistics database. OAG's airline
schedules database holds future and historical flight details for over 1,000 airlines and more than
OAG is a UBM Aviation business, which recently added The Route Development Group's (RDG) highly respected Routes events - including World Routes (The World Route Development Forum) - and ASM consultancy business to our data and schedules business. Together, these established brands bring significant value to airline and airport communities.
Network planning and route development are core to UBM Aviation's service portfolio, and this year, we are pleased to add the industry-leading World Routes event to our product offerings.
• World Routes - The World Route Development Forum - is the world renowned annual airline and airport networking event. It facilitates and encourages the role of airports in the development of air services through organising global and region specific airline/airport networking forums.
• This year's World Routes is taking place in Vancouver, Canada, 19th-21st September.
• Routes Regional events include Routes Americas, Routes Asia, Routes Europe, Routes Africa and Routes CIS.
• Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK-based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. www.asm-global.com.
• Both companies, and Routesonline.com, were acquired by UBM Aviation in August 2010. UBM Aviation specialises in the supply of data and information products, market intelligence, news and events related to the global aviation industry. More information can be found at
• In April 2007, Routes won the prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2007. The award, for outstanding business performance and commercial success, recognised Routes' sustained contribution to aviation route development through its innovative Regional
and World Route Development Forums.
For further press information, please contact:
Group PR & Communications Director
The Route Development Group
T: +44 (0) 161 234 2711
M: +44 (0) 7525 986 374
Director, Corporate Communications
Please login to view this content. Not a member? Create an account for free.