For further press information please contact:
Marseille-Provence Airport to Host Routes Europe 2014
Posted 21/05/2012 - Viewed 5228 time(s)
21stMay 2012, Tallinn, Estonia
It was announced today that the 9thRoutes Europe event will take place in Marseille in April 2014. Marseille-Provence Airport were officially signed as the 2014 Host towards the end of last week and the announcement was made during the 7thRoutes Europe event which is currently being held in Tallinn.
Routes Europe is the region’s largest route development forum and enables the aviation industry’s decision makers from across Europe to examine air services, discuss new market opportunities and developments and get up to speed on potential new destinations. The event has seen year on year growth and this year’s event in Tallinn has seen a record attendance which is expected to increase further in 2013 when the event will move to the Hungarian capital of Budapest.
Marseille Provence was founded over 2600 years ago and, with a population of over one million inhabitants, is the regional capital of Southern France. Combining Mediterranean mildness with Provence’s quality of life the area attracts some 9 million tourists every year.
Marseille Port, which will break the million cruise passengers mark in 2013, will also host Seatrade Med, a UBM event, in November 2012. This event will put together 1000 cruise delegates as part of its strategy to strengthen its fastest growth amongst Mediterranean ports.
Marseille Provence has also been appointed European Capital of Culture 2013 a title of which they are incredibly proud. The 2013 calendar will feature a wide variety of events, which will mark the year and this event of international magnitude is expected to attract a further 2 million tourists to the city.
“We are delighted that Routes Europe will be hosted in Marseille in April 2014 and very much look forward to working with the Marseille-Provence Airport team and partners,” said Katie Bland, Future Hosts Director for Routes. “Marseille is France's second largest city supported by a booming economy and dynamic tourist industry. Its excellent air connectivity throughout Europe and superb conference facilities and infrastructure, will ensure that Routes Europe in 2014 continues to develop and grow.”
Pierre Régis, General Manager of Marseille-Provence Airport commented: “We are very proud and delighted to be chosen to host the 9th edition of Routes Europe in Marseille in 2014. This will give participants first-hand experience of the transformation, dynamism and strong points of Marseille - France's second city, located at the heart of Provence – which attracts more international tourists and businesses every year.” Régis continued: “While our airport will set a new traffic record in 2012, with more than 8 million passengers and another 2 digits growth, it is entering into a new and decisive phase in its development. Our ambition today is to open up to new international markets; hosting "Routes Europe" in Marseille will definitely contribute to fulfilling this ambition”.
Marseille Provence Airport (MRS) in South East France on the Mediterranean is ideally located at the intersection of air, rail and road networks. It is the gateway to the South of France – to Marseille, to Provence, and to the French Riviera.
The airport is France’s third largest regional airport for passenger traffic and the largest regional airport for cargo traffic. The airport has experienced ongoing traffic growth for 8 consecutive years with the number of direct scheduled flights more than doubling from 51 to 104 in the five years between 2006 and 2011 and provides excellent air accessibility to 100 destinations with 40 airlines.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. www.routesonline.com
- All destinations and Hosts of Routes Europe Events are listed below:
- Warsaw, Poland, 21-23 May 2006, hosted by PPL
- Sofia, Bulgaria, 13-15 May 2007, hosted by Sofia International Airport
- Porto, Portugal, 11 - 13 May 2008, hosted by ANA - Aeroportos de Portugal
- Prague, Czech Republic 17-19 May 2009, hosted by Prague Airport
- Toulouse, France, 13 -15 May 2010, hosted by Toulouse Airport
- Cagliari, Sardinia 8-10 May 2011 hosted by Cagliari Airport
- Tallinn, Estonia 20-22 May 2012 hosted by Tallinn Airport
- Budapest, Hungary 12-14 May 2013 hosted by Budapest Airport
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK‐based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. www.asm‐global.com
- Routes and ASM were acquired by UBM Aviation Worldwide Ltd in August 2010. Routes is a UBM Aviation brand. UBM Aviation specialises in the supply of data and information products, market intelligence, news and events related to the global aviation industry. More information can be found at www.ubmaviation.com
For further press information please contact:
UBM Aviation Routes Limited
T: +44 (0) 161 234 2730
Follow us on twitter:
@Routesonline, @TheHUBRoutes, @VictoriaRoutes