Routes Asia brings together leading airlines, airports and their stakeholders to discuss air services to, from and within Asia. Philippine Department of Tourism is hosting the 14th annual event at SMX Convention Center in Manila.
Over 900 delegates from 110 airlines and 220 airports and destinations have registered for Routes Asia, including representatives from Air Asia, All Nippon Airways, Qatar Airways, Philippine Airlines, China Airlines, Hainan Airlines, Japan Airlines and British Airways.
The event is the perfect opportunity for the Philippines to show its attractions to the aviation industry while making the case for new air services. The Philippines’ famous beaches, mountains, rainforests, islands and rich cultural heritage drew 5.36 million tourists last year, and its ‘tiger cub’ economy is also gaining international attention (gross domestic product growth is expected to be 6.3% for 2016).
Routes Asia will enable the Philippines to capitalise on the rapid growth predicted for the Asia-Pacific aviation market over the next two decades. International Air Transport Association (IATA) figures predict that passenger numbers in the region will have overtaken both North America and Europe by the end of the next decade, and nearly half of all air travel will touch the region by 2034 - a total of 2.9 billion journeys.
Katie Bland, Director of Routes, said: “The Philippines has gained an influential position within the aviation industry by hosting Routes Asia 2016. The Asian market is growing and there is scope to improve the country’s international air connectivity with new service.”
Ramon R Jimenez Jr, Secretary of Philippine Department of Tourism, said: “"Routes Asia 2016 is a milestone for the Philippines as this is the very first time that the country is hosting the largest and most important route development and planning forum in Asia.
“This is truly a testament to the country's uninterrupted growth, particularly in the travel and tourism industry. As we welcome these developments, we are creating numerous opportunities for expanding our air routes, not only in Asia, but to the rest of the world.
“And ultimately, the hosting of this event will allow the Philippines and other countries in the region to enable more gateways, more destinations and more people to have access to the business that is tourism, making growth in the industry more inclusive and meaningful."
For more information about Routes Asia, go to: https://www.routesonline.com/events/180/routes-asia-2016-/
Routes Asia 2016, SMX Convention Center, Manila, Philippines, 6-8 March.
Notes to Editors
- Media are invited to Routes Asia 2016 and can register by emailing Karen Reeves Karen.Reeves@ubm.com
- Routes events are unique forums dedicated to the development of new air services which bring together airlines, airports and destinations to meet, plan, discuss and negotiate new and existing flights.
- Five ‘regional’ route development forums are held between February and July in the Americas, Asia, Europe, Africa/Middle East and Silk Road/Russian Commonwealth, and the flagship World Routes event takes place in September. routesonline.com
- The events revolve around pre-scheduled meetings and an exhibition and conference which are delivered in partnership with host stakeholders. Hosts tend to be a collaboration between airports, tourism authorities and investment partners (the bidding process takes place two to three years before the event takes place).
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the UK‐based consultancy ASM which specialises in route development for airports, airlines and tourism and travel organisations. asm‐global.com. Routes and ASM are part of the UBM EMEA division of UBM plc.
For further information please contact:
Communications & Content Marketing Manager
Routes, UBM EMEA
T: +44 (0)161 234 2721
M: +44 (0)796 6405 105