Conference White Paper produced outlining the discussions and conclusions of the aviation industry’s top executives
Aaron Heslehurst, News Anchor and Presenter for BBC World Television, who chaired the Summit and Shruti Vijayakumar, Air Transport Specialist at The World Bank have produced a conference white paper reporting the findings of the World Routes Strategy Summit 2013 which took place 6-7 October in Las Vegas, Nevada, alongside the 19thWorld Route Development Forum.
The Summit, which was held in partnership with ICAO and The World Bank and sponsored by Oman Airports Management Company (OAMC), brought together senior leaders and key stakeholders from aviation, tourism and cargo to participate in discussions that will set the commercial and political agenda for the industry. The event attracted airline and airport CEOs, Ministers of Tourism and leaders of industry associations worldwide.
Dr. Charles E. Schlumberger, Lead Air Transport Specialist at The World Bank Group who moderated the panel discussion entitled A Sustainable Future for Aviation says of the Summit: “The World Routes Strategy Summit is the annual ‘D Check’ or ‘Heavy Maintenance Visit’ of the air transport industry. During two days each year, top airline and airport executives, aviation authorities, and officials of international organisations gather during the World Routes Forum to discuss, dismantle, and analyse every part of our fascinating air transport system. Their insight and conclusions are outlined in a White Paper, which can be seen as health bill of the industry!”
“The World Routes Strategy Summit is the only forum where senior executives from airlines, airports, tourism authorities and governments gather to discuss the issues and thrash out the solutions facing the aviation and tourism industry,” adds Nigel Mayes, Commercial & Relationships Director for Routes, UBM Live continuing: “We had over 1,000 executives play their part in this year’s conference making it our largest summit ever.”
The report details the conclusions from each of the sessions which took place over the two day event which covered many aspects of the industry. Points raised include the fact that collaboration across the airline, airport and tourism sectors is key to adapting to a challenging market environment whilst governments also play a key role to success. This was the finding from The Golden Triangle – Airports, Airlines and Tourism session and speakers during this insightful session also raised the need to improve connectivity across the US to promote domestic travel to international visitors.
The Addressing CO2 Emissions session found that the decision which was made at the 38th ICAO assembly to commit the organisation’s 198 member states to develop a global market-based mechanism (MBM) to address international aviation emissions by 2016 was hailed by the EU but viewed by others as a missed opportunity. The session found that the industry remains committed to carbon neutral growth whilst highlighting the need for the industry to remain involved. The State of the Industry session saw panellists emphasising that whilst the industry remains fragile growing collaboration with stakeholders is a positive sign for the future and that there is a need to open the lines of communication with passengers to improve service particularly in view of the expected growth in demand for air transport in the rising middle classes and emerging markets.
The World Routes Strategy Summit Conference White Paper, which includes more detail on the above sessions and more, is available to view online for all registered Routesonline users at: https://www.routesonline.com/suppliers/2355/routes/80/latest-developments/#latest-developmentsContent
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
- Routes organises world-renowned airline and airport networking events through its regional and global Route Development Forums. Each year, there is one global event and one regional event in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Americas and CIS respectively. www.routesonline.com
- Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK‐based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in the field of route development for airports. www.asm‐global.com
- Routes and ASM were acquired by UBM Aviation Worldwide Ltd in August 2010. From 1stAugust 2012 Routes, ASM and the Airport Cities Conference and Exhibition become part of the UBM Live division of UBM plc.
- UBM Live connects people and creates opportunities for companies across five continents to develop new business, meet customers, launch new products, promote their brands and expand their markets. Through premiere brands such as MD&M, CPhI, IFSEC, TFM&A, Cruise Shipping Miami, the Concrete Show, the Routes portfolio of events, Airport Cities and many others, UBM Live exhibitions, conferences, awards programs, publications, websites and training and certification programs are an integral part of the marketing plans of companies across more than 20 industry sectors. www.ubmlive.com
For further press information or a copy of the White Paper please contact:
T: +44 (0) 161 234 2730
Follow us on twitter: @Routesonline, @TheHUBRoutes, @VictoriaRoutes, @NLPROU, @airlineroute
About UBM plc
- UBM plc is a global events-led marketing services and communications company. We help businesses do business, bringing the world’s buyers and sellers together at events and online, as well as producing and distributing news and specialist content. Our 5,500 staff in more than 30 countries are organised into expert teams which serve commercial and professional communities, helping them to do business and their markets to work effectively and efficiently.