Routes Weekly top five: Air France-KLM, Guangzhou, United Airlines, Route rundown, Tewolde GebreMariam podcast
Our top five stories this week: Air France-KLM and Air Europa set for joint venture; Guangzhou outlines its international ambitions; United Airlines focuses on domestic expansion; Route rundown; Tewolde GebreMariam podcast and more.
3 August 2018 13:59
Our top five stories on Routes Weekly this week - subscribe here:
1. Air France-KLM eyes South American joint venture SkyTeam partners Air France-KLM and Air Europa are hoping that a planned joint venture agreement on flights between Europe and Central and South America will help to unlock new routes and direct flights between the two continents. Read more.
2. Guangzhou outlines international hub ambitions Ahead of World Routes 2018 in the Chinese city of Guangzhou, Routesonline caught up with the Guangdong Airport Authority to find out why it is hosting the event and its wider route development ambitions. Read more.
3. United continues to push domestic expansion United Airlines has launched 33 new point-to-point destinations in 18 US states over the past four months as part of its strategy to strengthen its domestic hubs. Read more.
4. Route rundown: AMS-BOS, GRU-UIO, ICN-OKA This week: KLM resumes Boston after 24 years; GOL to start an Ecuador route; and Air Seoul expands Japan network. Read more.
5. Routes Podcast: Tewolde GebreMariam, CEO of Ethiopian Airlines Industry heavyweight Tewolde GebreMariam, the chief executive of Ethiopian Airlines, outlines the carrier's strategy and how the dominance of non-African airlines in the continent can be challenged. Read more.
PLUS: Airline in focus: Cathay Pacific $770m grants to fund US airport upgrades Bulletin board: aviation industry news round-up Routes lending a helping hand in Accra Africa must ‘build for the future’ to be like China SA Express cleared to resume flights
Get our Routes Weekly newsletter!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter with route development news, features, interviews and more.
Download Can tourism ever be sustainable?
Exploring how airlines and destinations are working together to help balance social and environmental concerns with the economic benefits of tourism.
Download White Paper
About The Author...
Online Editor - Aviation
David is responsible for providing insight to the Routesonline community through the latest breaking news, as well as regular features and analysis on developments and trends within the sector. He previously spent 11 years as a business journalist, which included five as the editor of an award-winning digital news team.