About The Airport
Zurich Airport is as impressive as one would expect of Switzerland’s prime airport. As a state-of-the-art airport and transport hub, Zurich Airport is designed and built to the most demanding standards of quality. Situated in the heart of Europe, Zurich Airport is not only Switzerland’s gateway to all continents, but also to a wealthy market and an attractive travel destination.
The recently opened Circle blends nicely in to Zurich Airports state-of-the-art architecture and sets a new benchmark as an attractive working location. In addition to office spaces, several restaurants and two Hyatt hotels, including a large convention center, the new airport city offers a versatile business infrastructure and plenty of room for creativity.
Large and well developed catchment area
12 million people live within a two-hour drive of Zurich Airport. This catchment area extends into neighbouring parts of Germany, Austria and France, with the German border just 20 kilometres from the airport terminal. By train, Zurich city center is just a ten-minute ride away, while Lucerne can be reached in 60 minutes and Basel or Bern in 75 minutes. The Swiss Alps are practically on Zurich Airport's doorstep: you can be on a ski slope in just 60 minutes, and Zermatt is only 3.5 hours away by train.
Significant demand for business travel
Switzerland is the most competitive business center in the world. There are numerous good reasons to locate a business in Switzerland: innovation and technology, a liberal economic system, political stability, close links with foreign markets, excellent education and healthcare systems, an outstanding infrastructure, a high standard of living, and a competitive tax system.
Zurich Airport lies in the middle of Switzerland’s economic powerhouse. Around 150,000 companies producing more than 50% of Switzerland’s GDP are within a one-hour drive. Foreign trade plays a major role in Switzerland’s economy and generates a business travel demand of 21%.
Facts and Figures
- List of Top 5 Airlines: (by PAX) Swiss, Edelweiss, Lufthansa, Chair, Turkish
- Number of Serving Airlines: 50 airlines offering scheduled and non-scheduled services
- Number of Direct Destinations: 195 destinations in 73 countries
- Number of Terminals: 3
- Number of Runways: 3
- Length of Main Runway (m): 3700
- Passenger Numbers (mppa): 22,6 million (2022) // 31,507,692 (2019)
- Cargo Tonnes (p.a.): 422,153 tonnes (2022) // 451.827 tonnes (2019)
- Ownership: Incorporated company: 33.3% Canton of Zurich, 5% City of Zurich
- Operational Opening Hours: 0600-2300
- Total Catchment Population: 12 million people within 2 driving hours
- Urban Population: Population in Switzerland: 8.7 million
- Aircraft Parking Stands: approx. 120