About The Airport
- Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen International Airport (SAW), located on the Asian side of Istanbul, served over 35.5 million passengers in 2019 and today, ranked as the 2nd busiest airport in Turkey and 13th busiest airport in Europe. It is also world's busiest single runway and single terminal airport.
- Over the last 10 years, SAW experienced over 900% increase in its direct connectivity.
- As the city airport of Istanbul, SAW is easily accessible by major highways, roads and public transport.
- Within the 2 hours’ catchment area, SAW is capable of serving over 22 million people.
What makes Istanbul so impressive?
The left behind traces of cultures make Istanbul one of the most unique cities and the only city in the world that sits on 2 continents. Over 15 million people live in this vibrant city, which serves as a bridge between the West and East.
- SAW is located 40 km away from the city centre Taksim and 25 km away from Kadıköy; the city centre of the Asian side of the city.
- SAW catchment area is also among the 4 developing cities (Gebze, Kocaeli, Bursa, Sakarya, Kocaeli) with the highest GDP/ capita contribution, which accounts at least 40% of Turkey’s GDP. This provides an important feed for SAW Cargo Terminal, which has a capacity of over 90,000 tonnes.
- SAW is home to Pegasus, its main carrier and Turkish Airlines, its second hub after Istanbul Airport. SAW connectivity spreads across over 120 international destinations and 41 domestic destination.
- Under a single terminal operation for both international and domestic passengers, SAW provides seamless airport experience for passenger, with short connecting time and walking distance.
- With the additional boarding hall which was open in July 2018, SAW now has a total terminal capacity of 41 mppa.
- Second runway construction which is expected to be completed at the end of year 2020 and together with development of a new terminal, SAW is expected to double its handling capacity.
Facts and Figures
- List of Top 5 Airlines: Pegasus Airlines, Turkish Airlines , Qatar Airways, Flynas, Air Arabia.
- Number of Serving Airlines: 59
- Number of Direct Destinations: 164
- Number of Terminals: 1
- Number of Runways: 1
- Length of Main Runway (m): 3000
- Passenger Numbers (mppa): 35,465,508
- Cargo Tonnes (p.a.): 63
- Ownership: Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Operational Opening Hours: 24 hours
- Total Catchment Population: 22 M.
- Urban Population: 16 M.
- Aircraft Parking Stands: 76(60 Remote)