For further press information please contact:
World Routes Baton Officially Passed to Berlin
Posted 30/09/2010 - Viewed 5387 time(s)
- For Immediate Release -
WORLD ROUTES BATON OFFICIALLY PASSED TO BERLIN
Vancouver, Canada, 21 September 2010
After a very successful World Routes in Vancouver, Canada, Vancouver International Airport has officially handed over to Airport Berlin Brandenburg International (BBI), who will host the 17th World Routes from 2-4 October 2011.
Dr. Rainer Schwarz, CEO of Berlin Airports, said: "The BBI will be one of the most advanced airports in Europe and with double the capacity. This will make Berlin an ideal gateway for new intercontinental routes to Europe. With World Routes in Berlin, the international trade public will have the opportunity to form their own impression of the new Airport Berlin Brandenburg
International before it opens."
Burkhard Kieker, CEO of Berlin Tourismus Marketing GmbH, continued, saying that "When the BBI Airport opens next year, it will give new impetus to Berlin's tourist industry. But a city also needs a special appeal, if it wants to introduce new flight routes. Berlin offers an array of attractions for tourists - from world-class museums and a booming creative scene to its legendary nightlife."
The new airport opens on 3rd June 2012. It will be the gateway to one of the most exciting cities in the world and offer capacity for future growth. Thanks to its central location, all main European destinations will be within fast and easy reach of Berlin.
Nigel Mayes, Managing Director of Routes, said: "Over the coming year, we will continue to develop the event, bringing together more airports, airlines, tourism authorities and stakeholders, whilst focusing on delivering an even greater variety of in-depth route development meetings. We are looking forward to bringing World Routes back to Europe after two years in Asia and one in North America, and to Berlin, an exciting and dynamic city. We are certain that Berlin with its spectacular new airport will prove to be the perfect host for this event."
The handover ceremony officially brings the 16th World Routes, which brought together more than 2,500 members of the commercial air transport industry, to a close.
- Ends -
Notes to Editors
• World Routes - The World Route Development Forum - is the world renowned annual airline and airport networking event. It facilitates and encourages the role of airports in the development of air services through organising global and region specific airline/airport networking forums.
• This year's World Routes is taking place in Vancouver, Canada, 19th-21st September.
• Routes Regional events include Routes Americas, Routes Asia, Routes Europe, Routes Africa and Routes
• Routes was founded in 1995 as part of the Manchester UK-based ASM Ltd., a consultancy specialising in
the field of route development for airports. www.asm-global.com.
• Both companies, and Routesonline.com, were acquired by UBM Aviation in August 2010. UBM Aviation
specialises in the supply of data and information products, market intelligence, news and events related
to the global aviation industry. More information can be found at www.ubmaviation.com.
• In April 2007, Routes won the prestigious Queen's Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2007. The
award, for outstanding business performance and commercial success, recognised Routes' sustained contribution to aviation route development through its innovative Regional and World Route Development Forums.
For further press information please contact Nadine Wenn at:
The Route Development Group (RDG)
T: +44 (0)161 234 2711
113-115 Portland Street
Manchester M1 6DW
Please login to view this content. Not a member? Create an account for free.