Updated as of 0030GMT 16AUG11.
QANTAS Group on 16AUG11 has announced New 5-year plan, which focuses on bringing QANTAS back to profitability. Changes involved within QANTAS Group in the 5-year plan, dubbed as “A New Spirit”, as follows:
- Launch of Jetstar Japan by late-2012, initially with 3 A320, and increase to up to 24 at later date. New airline to base in Tokyo Narita but also fly out of Osaka Kansai. Initial Domestic service to Sapporo, Sendai, Nagoya, Kobe/Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kagoshima and Okinawa. The new airline will be jointly invested by JAL and Mitsubishi Corporation
- Launch of New un-named Premium Carrier based in Asia, tapping Chinese market. Initially with 11 A320 aircraft with Premium Product
- 12 Airbus A380 in service by late-2011. Remaining 6 A380 deliveries is postponed until FY2019
- 9 Boeing 747-400 to be retrofit, while 4 to be retired
QANTAS – LAN Airlines Alliance
- Cancellation of Sydney – Buenos Aires service by Apr 2012
- Launch of Sydney – Santiago de Chile from Apr 2012, in cooperation with LAN Airlines
QANTAS – British Airways Joint-Venture Program
- Cancellation of QANTAS Hong Kong – London Heathrow and Bangkok – London Heathrow as early as 2012. These flights will transfer to British Airways
- QANTAS continues to offer Singapore – London Heathrow (from both Sydney and Melbourne) with A380
- British Airways to cancel 1 service on London Heathrow – Sydney service, with Bangkok routing likely on chopping block
- British Airways to change from Boeing 777-200ER to 747-400 on London Heathrow – Singapore – Sydney service
- British Airways to increase London Heathrow – Hong Kong from 14 to 17 weekly. It operated 17 weekly level in mid-2000s
The oneWorld member also claimed out of 100 people, 82 choose other airlines than QANTAS for flying out of Australia.