About The Airport
- Madinah is a city in the Hejaz region of western Saudi Arabia, and serves as the capital of the Al Madinah Province.
- Madinah is the fourth largest city in Saudi Arabia, with a population of over 1 million.
- Madinah is the second holiest city in Islam, and the burial place of the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.
- Madinah is also known as Madinat Al-Nabi (City of the Prophet) or Madinah Al-Munawwarah (The Enlightened City). Madinah is home to the three of the oldest mosques in Islam: Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, Quba Mosque and Masjid al-Qiblatain. Al Masjid an-Nabawi is also known as the Mosque of the Prophet and is home to the tomb of Prophet Muhammad. The city is historically significant for being the home of Prophet Muhammad after the migration of Muhammad and his followers from Mecca to Madinah in 622 CE.
- Madinah has a great religious importance in Islam and is popular as a pilgrim destination. The mosques in the city aare visited by millions of pilgrims during the Hajj and Umrah seasons every year.
Facts and Figures
- Passenger Numbers (mppa): 8,383,900